Plumbing Tips Homeowners Need to Know
Thanks to our vast industry experience, Freedom Plumbers knows a thing or two about keeping residential plumbing systems in good condition. Our talented team has seen and done it all, from simple repairs to complex pipeline replacement projects. Through it all, we’ve helped homeowners throughout Washington DC, Baltimore, and Northern Virginia get fully functional, high-performance plumbing when they need it most. If you need professional plumbing help from experienced and highly qualified experts, turn to Freedom Plumbers.
Common Plumbing Issues
There are many issues that can threaten the integrity of your plumbing system, but some problems occur more commonly than others. Freedom Plumbers routinely gets calls about recurring issues, including but not limited to:
- Clogged drains. On a daily basis, your drains come in contact with hair, soap scum, food particles, grease, and a host of other damaging debris. Over time, those intrusive materials can form clogs that threaten the flow capacity and productivity of your pipes.
- Slow drains. All the materials building up inside your drains can make it hard for water to flush out of your home and down into your pipes. The resulting slow drainage can wreak havoc on your household tasks and make day-to-day life uncomfortable.
- Low water pressure. When you need to use your sinks or showers, the last thing you want is low water pressure. Low water pressure can be caused by many things, including water heater damage, sewer leaks, pipeline blockages, or clogged fixtures. There are many causes that lead to low water pressure, which makes diagnosing it difficult. Fortunately, our team is expertly trained to determine the cause of water pressure issues accurately.
- Corrosion and scale buildup. Corroded lead and copper can leach into your drinking water, deteriorate your water heater, stain your plumbing fixtures, and cause a variety of other problems. It’s commonly caused by hot water temperatures, minerals, and oxygen in your water supply, and aging pipeline materials.
- Sewage backups. Obstructed sewer pipes can force unhealthy wastewater back up into your home, which can damage your household interior and encourage dangerous mold and mildew growth.
- Cracked pipes. If your home is experiencing low water pressure, strange bubbling sounds coming from the drains, abnormally high water bills, foul odors, or other issues, you could be dealing with a cracked pipe.
- Tree root invasion. Plant roots seek out moisture in the soil, so if your pipes have a crack, roots can aggressively infiltrate your plumbing system. As the roots grow, they can force the crack to get bigger and cause serious disruptions to your pipeline’s functionality.
None of these problems are easy to deal with, but Freedom Plumbers has reliable solutions to get your plumbing working as it should.
How to Avoid Plumbing Problems
Sometimes, plumbing problems are inevitable. Other times, issues can be avoided. We believe that sharing our in-depth industry knowledge with Fairfax, Virginia, homeowners can help save a lot of plumbing systems from unnecessary damage and repairs. Therefore, we have some helpful tips you can use to protect the life of your plumbing.
One easy way to protect your plumbing system is by being aware of the things you send into your drains. Cleaning products, coffee grounds, sanitary pads, diapers, paper towels, medications, and other common household items should never be flushed into your drains or pipes. These things can pollute your water supply and diminish its quality, corrode your pipes, form blockages, and cause costly and hard-to-repair damage.
Another way to safeguard your residential plumbing is to know where your water shut-off is. If a plumbing emergency strikes, you should be able to quickly stop the water flow while you wait for our team to arrive. The more water you have backing up into your home, the more damage you can incur. Repairing water damage to your floors, walls, cabinets, and appliances can get pretty costly, so knowing how to rapidly turn off the water can save you money.
Another plumbing tip is to avoid DIY drain cleanings and repairs. Although you may think you can save time and money by finding and repairing plumbing issues yourself, if completed incorrectly, those repair attempts could actually cause more damage. Drain chemicals and DIY cleaning mixtures can eat away at the interior of your pipe if they’re used in the wrong combinations or in excessive amounts. Similarly, at-home drain snakes can puncture your pipes if the wrong amount of pressure is applied to them. To guarantee a successful outcome, diagnosing and repairing plumbing damage should be left to the professionals. Freedom Plumbers has experienced, expertly trained technicians who know what they’re doing, so when you want the job done right the first time, give us a call.
Regular maintenance is also an effective way to keep your plumbing system operating efficiently. When you invest in routine preventative maintenance, you can maintain your plumbing system and avoid unexpected problems down the road. Freedom Plumbers can visit your home on a scheduled basis to inspect and clean your pipes. Inspecting your Northern Virginia pipes is easy with our state-of-the-art sewer camera. Instead of digging trenches through your yard to access your pipes, we can use an existing cleanout hole or dig a small entry point. We can carefully navigate our high-resolution camera into your pipe, control it from the ground, and analyze the footage it transmits as it snakes through your pipeline. The footage can show us where tree roots, clogs, corrosion, breaks, and other damage is located and give us valuable insight into the condition and age of your pipeline. When the camera inspection is complete, we can use our professional-grade drain snake to snag and remove obstructions from your pipe. Removing small obstructions before they get a chance to grow can help keep your pipes clean, clear, and working efficiently.
Sewer Repairs and Replacements
If our sewer camera inspection notices a larger problem, we can offer plumbing system repair services. In some cases, we may need to use traditional excavation to repair your pipes. Freedom Plumbers is skilled at operating our heavy machinery in a way that causes the least amount of damage to your property. Our camera inspection can help us pinpoint where digging needs to occur, which can help us localize our trenching to the smallest possible portion of your yard. Once we dig down to your pipe and make the necessary repairs, we can backfill and level off the dirt, remove our equipment and tools, and let you get back to enjoying a high-performance plumbing system.
Another alternative to traditional excavation is our innovative trenchless pipelining. Pipelining doesn’t require digging. Instead of trenching your yard to gain entry to your pipes, we can rehabilitate your pipe from the inside out. Through a small and conveniently located access hole, we can insert an epoxy resin-saturated liner. Our talented pipe lining specialists can position the liner through your damaged pipe and coat its interior wall with the epoxy resin material. The epoxy resin takes a few hours to dry, but once it has hardened in place, we can safely remove the liner and use our camera to inspect the final product. Pipelining is a cost-efficient, affordable way to build a brand new pipeline without having to remove the old one.
If the damage to your pipes is extreme and widespread, a full pipeline replacement may be the best solution. Fortunately, we have a trenchless option for this scenario. We can insert a special bursting head into your pipe through a small entry hole. We can attach a new pipe to the head, so as the head moves along and breaks apart your old pipe, the new pipe can easily fit in its place. When the head reaches the end of your pipeline, we can remove it through an exit hole, connect the new pipe to your existing system, close up the two holes, and give you immediate usage of your improved plumbing.
In addition to our reliable sewer repairs and replacements, routine maintenance plans, and other high-quality plumbing services, Freedom Plumbers is available 24/7 for emergency plumbing situations. We understand that plumbing issues can happen when you least expect them, and we don’t want you to feel overwhelmed in those frustrating times. When water backups, broken sewer pipes, or some other plumbing emergency is putting your home and health in jeopardy, call us right away. We can promptly arrive at your home to conduct emergency drain cleaning, remove sewer clogs, or take care of your other immediate needs. No job is too small or complex, so don’t hesitate to contact Freedom Plumbers when plumbing emergencies strike your home.
Contact Freedom Plumbers to Learn More
Whether you’re face-to-face with a plumbing emergency or you need a routine service, Freedom Plumbers can help. Our local team is ready to assist with second-to-none customer service and industry-leading plumbing solutions, so give us a call or fill out our online form to learn more about our services.